Sunday, August 4, 2013

I'm going to be sick...

The roommates split up today into three groups to accomplish our final individual desires before the bus left at 2:30pm. Paige and the girl who was staying in our room, Nicole, went on a canopy tour and ziplining, which I heard was amazing. Kendria and Ilona went to the La Fortuna waterfall and went swimming. I decided not to do it because I thought we would have to hike and my tennis shoes were still wet from yesterday. Unfortunately, turns out it was really easy and beautiful. Luckily, they took a lot of pictures and I felt like I was there!

Ebyan and I decided to stay behind and explore the city. I wanted to see if we could get out of the tourist part of the city. We were able to find a school in La Fortuna. It was pretty large and the kids were out practicing for band. Ebyan and I looked into lots of different shops and got ice cream and lunch together, yes, in that order. We stayed at our restaurant for a while and compared lives back home. Turns out my lifeguarding job and her job at an amusement park are pretty similar.

We headed back to our hostel and met up with everyone else. Hearing about all their adventures was really fun and we all got ready to go. We checked out of the hostel and headed for the bus. The weather was finally clear enough that we could actually see the volcano! It was gorgeous. We got in line and were luckily able to find spots to sit. We were all so excited to get back home.

After a little while on the bus, we got up in the mountains and it got extremely foggy. You could barely see in front of you and the driver had a pretty nervous look on his face. He was driving way too fast and I began to feel extremely sick. We were twisting and turning and everyone was frightened. Being up on a mountain with a little wire being the only thing between you and the ground below makes me scared. Not only that, we are in a place where people already drive crazy.

Luckily, after a little while, the weather cleared up. Everyone was relieved but by that point, I was feeling really sick from the ride. Turned out all my roommates felt the same way. We couldn't wait to get off the bus. We finally arrived back in San Jose and found a taxi who crammed all five of us in his cab and drove us home.

When we got back to the house, we burst through the door. "IVANNIA! We missed you so much!" We were greeted by hugs and a plate full of food. I was cautious about eating too much since my stomach still felt a bit unsettled but everything was so delicious, I couldn't help but finish it. Everyone climbed in bed around 8:00pm and we were all wiped out from our weekend. Ebyan and I stayed up and watched Step Up together, which meant we were up long enough to meet a new roommate. Nina is super nice and is from Canada. I'm excited to get to know her but I'm sad I will only see her for a short time.

I am so happy to be back in San Jose and I feel happy to be alive. I was actually afraid for my life on the bus ride. A few potential crashes during the cab ride home also didn't make me feel much better. But being in my bed brings me comfort.

1 comment:

  1. I'm struck by your thiking outside-the-box.Taking that opportunity to visit the city--outside of what the tourists see--must have brought you to experience a bit of what life is like for the people who live there. --rao

    ReplyDelete